Through a program called Summer Company, you can get:
- start-up money to kick-off a new summer business
- advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get the business up and running
Learning how to run your own student business is one of the best summer jobs you can have. You get to be your own boss while learning what it takes to manage a business. Sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and networking are just a few of the highly useful skills you’ll develop.
Who is eligible
You could be eligible, if you:
- go to high school, college or university
- live in Ontario
- are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- are between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent or guardian must sign the agreement for the applicant)
- are not already running a business
- are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
- are returning to school after the program ends
You cannot apply again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past.
If you are on social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program) you can still apply to Summer Company. Payments from the program may be exempt as income and assets under social assistance, so your monthly social assistance payment may not be affected.
Maximum award: $3,000
Successful Summer Company applicants get:
- up to $1,500 up front to help with start-up costs
- up to $1,500 when you successfully complete the program requirements
Dates and hours
Start date: usually May to July.
End date: Labour Day (but you can choose to keep running your summer business while in school).
Over the summer program period, you must be prepared to commit:
- a minimum of 280 hours for high school students
- a minimum of 420 hours for post-secondary students
How to apply
The program for 2019 is open through May 19. Here are the steps to apply:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for the program
- Complete the online application inquiry
- Select your local program provider
- Assign yourself a password
- Submit your application inquiry
Information sourced from: https://www.ontario.ca/page/start-summer-company-students