CQDM’s Quantum Leap pharma-led funding program for drug discovery research helps SMEs or Canadian universities achieve innovative translational biopharmaceutical research projects. Projects selected as part of the Quantum Leap program focus on developing cutting-edge technologies with the potential to significantly advance the R&D activities of CQDM’s pharmaceutical members. Quantum Leap projects are executed in close collaboration and with the expert support and funds of pharmaceutical members.
The enabling technologies, innovative platforms and/or innovative therapies derived from the Quantum Leap pharma-led funding program for drug discovery research are selected for their potential to significantly improve, facilitate and/or accelerate the drug discovery process and the development of safer and more effective drugs. The technologies of interest can be at any stage of the drug development process and involve a wide range of therapeutic indications.
Projects are associated with specific deliverables and must be ready for use by CQDM pharmaceutical members upon completion. For scientists, the funded research opens new collaboration opportunities with world-class stakeholders in the industry.
CQDM will review applications for its pharma-led funding program for drug discovery research subject to the following:
- Requested funds must range from $500,000 to $1,200,000. Exceptionally, CQDM may consider applications exceeding the maximum, if appropriate.
- CQDM pharmaceutical members must have pledged at least one third (1/3) of the funds required to support the project.
- Applicants are responsible for raising matched funding for the project. When possible, CQDM may offer support to applicants.
- CQDM may call on a number of national and international partner organizations potentially interested in co-financing certain projects. For example, preliminary discussions with CQDM could help maximize contributions from various partners toward launching a drug discovery research project (see below for details on international collaborations).
- Applicants with a secured financial commitment from the industry or from a private, semi-private and public organization (either for-profit or non-profit) could be advantaged.
- The funding may consist in a grant or an investment.
- A detailed breakdown of requested funding must be provided and will be carefully examined by CQDM.
- Applicants who wish to apply for Mitacs funding (available to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows involved in a CQDM project) must fill out the appropriate Mitacs section on the CQDM application form.
Application process of the pharma-led funding program for drug discovery research
Call for proposals are open year-round for Quantum Leap projects.
Deadline to participate in the next selection round: March 27, 2019
- Fill out the Quantum Leap pharma-led funding program for drug discovery research application form
- The application form can be emailed at any time to Steven Xanthoudakis, Chief Business Development Officer at CQDM and Marc Thibault, Director of Business Development at CQDM.
To learn more visit: https://cqdm.org/en/quantum-leap-programme-de-financement-pour-la-recherche-sur-la-decouverte-du-medicament/